- 750g bacon
- 2 large white onions
- 1 large red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 175 ml maple syrup (or golden)
- Bunch of rosemary and thyme (tie with string so you can easily remove later)
- Thinly slice the onions and garlic and put in a pan over a medium heat and sweat them down. Also add the bunch of herbs.
- Whilst sweating off the onions cook the bacon for about 10 to 15 minutes in the oven at 200 degrees C. Then leave them to cool.
- Once they have cooled down roughly dice the bacon and add to the pan with the onions and garlic.
- Add the maple syrup to the pan and then bring up to a boil almost and move then onto a low heat.
- Simmer away for a good few hours the longer the better keep stirring every ten minutes or so though so it doesn’t catch on the bottom of the pan.
- The jam will slowly get darker and darker after about 2.5 hours it will be a deep rich plum colour and ready for blending
- Blitz well and then place in a chinois or coulander to drain off some of the excess liquid.
- Use straight away of chill in an air tight container.
This jam is great with pork dishes or even better slathered over a beef burger with some cheddar or blue cheese… enjoy