This recipe is so easy yet so impressive at the same time. If you fancy a go at come dine with me or something like that but have no idea what you are doing… just make some of these and your bound to win.
- 500g strawberries
- 10g coriander
- 10g fresh mint
- 2 lemons juiced and zested
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 20g Chinese stem ginger
- Dice the strawberries about 1cm in diameter
- Finely chop the mint and corriander and mix with the diced strawberries (with all fresh herbs the more you chop them the more flavour they lose , slice as finely as you can to keep their freshness)
- Finely chop the ginger
- Add all the ingredients into a bowl and stir together well.
- 2 x lemons
- 50m sherry
- 50m brandy
- 1200ml cream
- 300g caster sugar
- Zest the lemons into a pan with the alcohol
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 3 minutes to infuse with the zest
- Drain off the liquid with a sieve and discard the zest. Leave the alcohol to one side to cool
- Juice the 2 lemons and mix with the alcohol
- Whisk the sugar and cream together in a mixer and combine the alcohol/lemon juice. Once all combined whisk to a soft peak (peaks form in the whipped cream but will fall back down after a few seconds)
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 70g icing sugar
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric whisk or a mixer and once they begin to foam and turn a white colour slowly pour in the caster sugar.
- Once all the caster sugar has been mixed in keep whisking until the meringue mix is firm peak (stiff peaks are created in the mixture that don’t fall down)
- Now fold in the icing sugar (if icing sugar is lumpy sift through a sieve first)
- Now you have a firm white mixture of meringue coat a large baking tray with grease proof paper or a sil pat matt.
- Spread the mixture thinly over the matt the thinner you spread the quicker it will cook.
- Places the meringue in an oven @ 110 degrees Celsius for about 90 minutes and then check it you are looking for a perfect crumbly solid meringue with a slightly soft centre. If it isn’t read just keep checking every 20 minutes or so.
In a wine glass or tumbler build the dessert up in layers of syllabub and strawberry salsa also crumbling meringue into each layer.