Crab / Watercress / Asparagus / Sauce Gribiche / Fennel Toasts
This is a bestseller on our menu currently and one which I’m very happy with.
The base of the salad is a sauce gribiche using homemade crab mayonnaise this gives a real citrus crunch to the dish without overpowering the fresh crab.
- Crab mayonnaise 400ml
- 2 Granny Smith apples finely diced
- 40g lily put capers
- Juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 5 hard boiled eggs fine dice or grated
- 2 pickled gherkins finely diced
- 1 banana shallot finely diced
- 3tbs fresh chopped herbs (parsley,chives,chervil)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Combine everything in a bowl
Homemade crab Mayonaisse:
In a blender:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1.5 tbsp brown crab meat
Pulse blend this and then emulsify with 300ml of vegetable or pomace oil (blend at medium speed and slowly pour in the oil). Going to fast could split your mayo so take it easy and pour in just a small trickle.
The main body of the salad then is made up of:
- The Watercress
- Fresh white crab meat
- Very thin slices of raw asparagus
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Small pinch of salt
- Dash of extra virgin olive oil
- Small shards of fennel croutons (thin slices of bread toasted with olive oil and salt)
All tossed together in a bowl and sat upon Gribiche sauce.